The transfer represented an historic day for the town as one of the oldest and strategically located properties is transferred to the ownership of Mayo County Council.
The barracks was constructed in 1827 as a direct result of the 1798 rebellion in the county with a view to improving Britain’s defences in the region.
In 1921 the property was transferred to the Irish Army after the War of Independence and has been occupied by the armed forces since that time.
While the future use of the premises is yet unclear, Mayo County Council will safeguard and maintain the complex into the future.
In time, plans will be put in place to utilise one of the most extensive and centrally located sites in the county town.