COOKIES ON Connaught Telegraph

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Connaught Telegraph website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.


Switched-on Dubs dazzle Mayo under lights

Story by John Melvin

Saturday, 4th March, 2017 9:06pm

Switched-on Dubs dazzle Mayo under lights

Mayo ace Stephen Coen shows his disappointment at the end. PHOTO: BRENDAN MORAN/SPORTSFILE.

Dublin .............1-16

Mayo ...............0-7



DUBLIN gave an exhibition of possession football to starve Mayo out of it in the fourth round clash the National Football League in Croke Park.

Mayo were onlookers for long periods as the Dubs moved with menace, Dean Rock turning in superb performance and ending the game with eight points.

The visitors struggled in quite a few areas, notably at midfield where Michael Darren Macauley ran the show with Brian Fenton while their defence, ably led by Philly McMahon, gave very little away.

Mayo trailed by six points at the break but Dublin could have been out of sight but for a fine save 12 minutes into the second half by David Clarke who denied Paddy Andrews from the penalty sport and also prevented the Dublin player finding the net when he followed up on Clarke’s superb save.

The penalty earned Donal Vaughan a black card for a tackle from behind which brought Dean Rock down in the area but, in truth, Dublin were toying with a Mayo team which started with Lee Keegan and Tom Parsons.

Even at that stage the game was drifting from Mayo who were eight points adrift (1-12 to 0-7), the pace of Dublin’s attack really causing Mayo’s defence a lot of problems while up front Mayo were making very little impact on the scoreboard.

Not the first time Clarke has rescued Mayo and a further save to deny Michael Darren Macauley ensured Dublin did not get a second goal in the first half with Mayo hanging on ay 1-5 to 0-2.

Macauley did follow up on Clarke’s point blank save to find the net but he clearly touched the ball on the ground with his hand before sweeping it to the net

There was nothing Clarke could do to deny Conor McHugh a tap-in goal on seven minutes as a short kickout from the Mayo goalkeeper was intercepted and the goal was put on a plate for the forward.

Mayo could only muster two points in that opening half, both coming on the 8th and 18th minute and both 45s from the boot of Cillian O’Connor.

Mayo did create two first half goal chances but shots from Cillian O’Connor and Kevin McLoughlin were straight at Dublin goalkeeper, Stephen Cluxton.

Dublin’s patient build-up from the back produced two stunning points from play from defenders, Philly McMahon and Eric Lowndes, with Dean Rock also stroking over two frees from distance as Mayo struggled in the finishing department.

Mayo now have a welcome break until they play Cavan in two week's time.

Dublin: S. Cluxton, P. McMahon (0-1), M. Fitzsimmons, D. Byrne, D. Daly, J. Small, E. Lowndes (0-2), B. Fenton, M.D. Macauley, N. Scully (0-1), D. Rock (0-8, 5f), S. B. Carthy, C. Kilkenny, E. O’Gara (0-1), C. McHugh (1-2).

Subs used: P. Andrews for O’Gara (43). P Flynn (0-1) for S McCarthy, K McMenamon for McHugh (55).

Mayo: D. Clarke, L. Keegan, K. Higgins, P. Durcan, S. Coen,(0-1), C. Boyle (0-1), T. Parsons (0-1), D. Vaughan, J. Gibbons, F. Boland, K. McLoughlin, D. O’Connor, E. Regan (0-2, 2f), C. O’Connor (0-2, 2 45s), A. Moran.

Subs used: B. Harrison for Gibbon (HT), S Nally for Vaughan (BC 50), C O’Shea for A. Moran (53), C Loftus for D. O’Connor (63), D. Kirby for Boland (65).

Ref: D. Coldrick (Meath).

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus