COOKIES ON Connaught Telegraph

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Connaught Telegraph website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.


Kirby inspires Mitchels to final date with Corofin

Story by Aiden Henry

Sunday, 12th November, 2017 8:04pm

Kirby inspires Mitchels to final date with Corofin

Mitchels ace Danny Kirby receiving the man-of-the-match award from John Prenty, secretary, Connacht GAA Council.

Castlebar Mitchels ......... 1-13
Tourlestrane (Sligo) ......... 0-9

CASTLEBAR Mitchels are through to another Connaught club senior football final following their well deserved seven-point victory over Sligo champions Tourlestrane in the semi-final played in Elverys Machale Park, Castlebar.

It was a much improved performance from the Mitchels who will now meet their arch rivals Corofin, the Galway champions who defeated St. Brigid's of Roscommon, in their semi-final last Sunday. The final will be played on Sunday week in Tuam Stadium at 2 p.m.

Castlebar, despite playing into a strong wind, played the better football and had the lion's share of possession which they used intelligently fo most parts.

Although Tourlestrane held a two-point lead after 12 minute, 0-4 to 0-2, Mitchels hit back by getting five out the next six points scored. This helped them to go in at the interval on level terms and in a fine position forthe second half.

Five of Castlebar's seven first half points came from David Stenson with Danny Kirby (who produced a man of the match performance) and James Durcan raising the other two white flags.

In the second half the staunch Castlebar defence only allowed their opposing forwards score two points.

Up at the other end of the field Mitchels had added four points from Stenson, Neil Douglas, Kirby and Paddy Durcan to their tally before Kirby killed the game as a contest when he scored a memorable goal nine minutes from the end of normal time.

In the closing moments Douglas added two more points for Mitchels to leave them deserving winners and a place in the Connaught final. 

Castlebar MItchels: R. Byrne, J. Maughan, G. McDonagh, D. Newcombe, N. McCarney, E. O'Reilly, P. Durcan (0-1), A. Walsh, B. Moran, J. Durcan (0-1), D. Kirby (1-2), C. Costello, D. Stenson (0-6), N. Douglas (0-3), R. O'Malley.
Subs used: S. Irwin, S. Hopkins, A. O'Boyle, M. Towey, C. Stenson.
Tourlestrane: A. Bownes, C. Neary, N. Gaughan, B. Walsh, S. Dunne, A. McIntyre, J. Leonard (0-1), S. Henry, A. Dunne (0-1), C. Henry, B. Egan (0-4), G. Gaughan (0-1), L. Gaughan (0-1), P. Harte, J. Kelly (0-1).
Subs used: J. Carr, J. Quinn, C. Marren, J. Marren.
Referee: J. Molloy (Galway).

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus