Mayo Football League round-up

Ballyheane and Kiltimagh/Knock United have maintained their perfect starts to the season in the top two divisions as Moy Villa, Westport United C and Swinford B lead the other three divisions after another dramatic weekend of action.

Elverys Sports Super League

Ballyheane continued their march towards their first ever Super League title with a 4-1 win over an understrength Castlebar Celtic side at Pat Quigley Park on Saturday evening. Celtic lined up without both Jordan Loftus and Jason Hunt and without their main goalscoring threats they were always up against it against the league leaders. Ballyheane were two goals in front at the break and added two more before Corey Scahill pulled a goal back for Celtic. Nathan Reilly-Doyle hit a brace for Ashley Stevenson’s side while the other goals came from Paddy Bourke and Jack Rochford.

In the other Super League game that took place on Saturday evening Westport United moved back into the top five with a 3-1 win over Ballyhaunis Town at Station Rise. Westport were gifted an early lead when after only four minutes James McGrath’s left wing free kick was headed into his own net by a Ballyhaunis defender under very little pressure. They doubled their lead on twenty-seven minutes as Dylan O’Malley raced clear to finish superbly after Cillian McGlade tackle in the middle of the pitch diverted the ball into his path. Ballyhaunis got themselves back into the game very early in the second half with an excellent strike from Andrew Cunnane who hit a first time shot from twenty-five yards past Gary Cunningham after a defensive header from Joe Lawless fell into his path. Westport had to wait until fifteen minutes from the end to get their all important third goal and it was Mikey O’Brien who was in the right place at the right time as he reacted quickest after Dylan O’Malley’s cross was parried by the Ballyhaunis keeper.

On Sunday morning Ballyglass and Glenhest Rovers had to settle for a point each in an entertaining 2-2 draw in Michael Keaveney Park. Glenhest took the lead ten minutes from the break thanks to a goal from Levi Barrett but Ballyglass were level minutes later as Darren Murray fired home from the penalty spot. Mark Forrestal put Glenhest

back in-front only for Ballyglass to equalise for a second time as Liam Hughes got his second league goal of the season. The point keeps Ballyglass four points clear of the relegation zone while Glenhest are still searching for their first league win of the season.

Two early goals at the start of each half earned a point each for Claremorris and Swinford in a tough encounter early on Sunday morning in Concannon Park. Swinford took the lead inside the first five minutes as James Devaney scored an important goal for Chris McHale-Roe’s side. Claremorris though are still fighting to make the top five at the break in the season and equalised after only two minutes of the second half when Caolan Walsh got on the end of a Dean Roddy cross to level matters. Swinford came close to winning it late on, but they could not find a winner despite hitting the woodwork on two occasions.

Ballina Town moved back to within five points of Ballyheane at the top of the table with a scintillating performance as they put five past Manulla on Sunday afternoon to make it six wins in a row for the North Mayo side. Jamie Cawley and Benny Lavelle have been two key players during this run, and they were both in top form today as they hit a brace apiece. Cawley gave them the lead after only ten minutes and Lavelle added a second midway through the half. The best strike of the day though came from a different source as Dylan McKee fired in a screamer from forty yards ten minutes before the break. They added two more goals midway through the second half when Cawley and Lavelle were on target again with the goals coming just five minutes apart.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division

Nine-man Snugboro United’s continued their promotion challenge with another win on Saturday evening as a single goal from Liam Morris earned them all three points against Killala to keep them in touch with Kiltimagh/Knock United and Straide & Foxford United at the top of the table. The win ensured they would finish in the top five at the break in the season, but the Castlebar based side are now looking at an unlikely push at promotion with five games remaining.

Westport United B returned to winning ways with a 2-1 win over ten-man Iorras Aontaithe on Sunday afternoon at United Park. They dominated the early exchanges but could not find away past the excellent Kian Gallagher in the Iorras goal until the half hour mark when Adam Diamond-Keane got his first of the day as he hit a low left foot volley into the bottom left-hand corner of the net from the penalty spot after Iorras failed to clear a corner. Iorras were reduced to ten men just before the break as Dylan Walker was sent off for a second bookable offence. Midway through the second half Westport doubled their lead as Adam Diamond-Keane doubled his tally for the day with another excellent left foot finish after Dylan Duane sent him clear inside the area. Iorras to their credit pulled a goal back just a minute later as Ryan Ruddy got in behind the Westport defence and his deft finish left the Micheal Gibbons with little chance in the Westport goal. Iorras pushed forward looking for an equaliser, but it never came and Westport held out to take the three points on offer.

Kiltimagh/Knock United kept up their 100% start to the league as they got the better of Conn Rangers thanks to a Lionel Jordan penalty midway through the second half. United look odds on for promotion with an eight-point cushion over third place Snugboro with only five games remaining.

Straide & Foxford United maintained their unbeaten start to the season but slipped two more points behind the league leaders after a 2-2 draw with Fahy Rovers. Darren Flatley and Michael Guilfoyle were on target for Aiden Flatley’s side while Fahy’s goals came from Ryan Feehan and Gary Concannon.

Killeen Sports Ground League One

League One joint leaders Kiltimagh/Knock United B and Crossmolina had to settle for a point each as they played out a ten-goal thriller in CMS Park on Saturday evening. Crossmolina will be disappointed with the result having led by two goals on two occasions as Shane Prendergast headed home a late equaliser for the home side. Kiltimagh/Knock did take an early lead after quarter of an hour through Thomas Gillespie only for Conal Carolan to equalise minutes later as he got on the end of a ball from Kevin Campbell. Campbell then gave Crossmolina the lead from the penalty spot before Ian

Gordon set up Niall Coggins to give the away side a two-goal lead at half-time. Luke Bennett pulled a goal back for James Costello’s side early in the second half as he was quickest to react after a freekick cannoned back off the crossbar and then Liam McCormack brough the sides level minutes later. Once again Crossmolina hit another two quickfire goals to restore their two-goal advantage as Shane McKinley added a fourth and Coggins got his second of the day to make it 5-3. At this stage it looked like Crossmolina would hold out, but Conor Heneghan set up a grandstand finish as he reduced the deficit to a single goal with less than fifteen minutes remaining. Just when it looked as if Crossmolina had done enough Shane Prendergast rose highest in the area to head home the equaliser in the final minutes.

Claremorris B picked up their first point since the opening day of the season as they made it four points from a possible six in their meetings with Newport/Mulranny Wanderers after a 1-1 draw at Solar 21 Park. Nathan Ring was on target for the East Mayo side while the Newport/Mulranny goal came courtesy of youngster James O’Hara.

Moy Villa returned to the top of League One with another convincing win as they put six past Achill Rovers in Fr O’Brien Park on Sunday afternoon. Three players hit a brace for the North Mayo side as John Judge, Luke Ruane and Jonathon Melia were the goal scorers in another comfortable win for Hugh Langdon’s side.

At the other end of the table Partry Athletic and Kilmore were involved in another thrilling match as they had to be happy with a point each after a 3-3 draw on Sunday afternoon. Both sides will feel like they could have won it as Kilmore led 2-0 at one stage but Partry hit back to lead with only seven minutes remaining only for Mark Gilbert to pop up and score the equaliser with three minutes left on the clock. The opening goal arrived when Paul McAlpine was caught in possession inside his own area by Shane Kennedy who kept his composure to give his side the lead. Kennedy doubled the lead on the half hour mark as he got on the end of a cross from Eamon Fallon to head the ball past Sean Og Bourke in the Partry goal. The home side then took control of the game and dominated the next fifteen minutes and finally found a way through two minutes before the break when

Eoghan Lally got free inside the area to fire home from eight yards. Partry had a chance to level matters ten minutes into the second half as they were awarded a controversial penalty, but substitute Dylan Sweeney failed to find the back of the net from twelve yards. Minutes later and the home side were level as Martin Fox scored from just inside the area after a good move involving Sweeney and Ben Horan. This woke Kilmore up and they came close to going back in-front on two occasions as Eamon Fallon and substitute Mark Gilbert both hit the woodwork, but it was Partry who took the lead for the first time when John Paul Sweeney played in Eoghan Lally who kept his composure to slot home his second of the day and what looked like the winning goal with seven minutes to go. Kilmore pushed forward and got their reward when Sean Brogan chased down a sloppy throw to set up Gilbert who levelled the scoring with a tidy finish from ten yards out.

McDonnell Construction League Two

Ballinrobe Town moved into the second promotion spot in League Two as they overtook Hollister after a 7-1 win over Vinny Coen’s side in Belleek on Saturday evening. It was not as one sided as the scoreline suggests as they hit five goals in the final half an hour after they led two-nil at the break. Shane Ryan headed in the opening goal after ten minutes and JP O’Gorman doubled their lead five minutes later from the penalty spot to give them the advantage at half-time. Connor Ryan was next on the scoresheet on the hour mark as he fired home after a brilliant assist from Ryan Corcoran before O’Gorman got his second of the day minutes later as he hit their fourth of the day. Owen Corcoran made it five and James Colfar and Christian Oncau added further goals with Hollister getting a consolation goal in the dying minutes.

Westport United C picked up another three points on Sunday morning as they beat Ballyheane B 4-1 at United Park. Goals from Kevin Kitterick, Fionn O’Ruain, David Hoban and substitute Nathan Donnellan were more than enough for Michael Horan’s side who hold a four-point lead over Ballinrobe Town at the top of the table.

Ballyvary Blue Bombers kept their hopes of avoiding relegation alive with a big win over promotion chasing Castlebar Celtic B on Sunday

morning. Alan Costello’s side recorded their second win of the season as substitute Fergal Larkin hit a second half winner for the Bombers.

Conn Rangers B kept their faint promotion hopes alive with a 5-0 win over Crossmolina B in Abbeyview on Sunday morning. After three successive 2-2 draws Rangers finally picked up three points thanks to goals from Luke Clayton (2), Ronan Holmes, Alan Dempsey and an early own goal that had gave them the lead.

CMR Fire & Security League Three

Claremorris C dropped two points as they were held to a 1-1 draw against bottom of the table Fahy Rovers B on Saturday evening. Fahy took the lead ten minutes into the second half as Colin Hastings scored the opening goal of the game but it was veteran striker Mick Mullee that earned a share of the spoils for Claremorris as he found the back of the net minutes later.

The only side that had taken points off the league leaders Swinford B gave them another scare this weekend in Attymass as Moy Villa B put it up to the East Mayo side but ultimately it was the favourites for the title that came away with the three points following a 5-3 win on Saturday. Adorn Biju hit a brace for Swinford while the other goals came from Johnny McNulty, Eoin Kelly and Liam Giblin.

Ballyglass B got their second win in a row for the first time this season as they kept themselves in the race for promotion with a 7-1 win over Conn Rangers C. John Walsh hit a hat-trick with Liam Rushe getting a brace and the other tow goals came from Brian O’Donavan and Tony Killeen.

- Report by the Mayo Football League