An 11 minute first half hat-trick from Kienan Smyth fired Straide & Foxford Utd to a crucial win against Claremorris.

Twists and turns at both ends of Mayo Super League table

Ballina Town and Ballyheane ends in a draw as Westport United move up to second place while Straide & Foxford United and Glenhest Rovers have important wins at the bottom of the table.

Elverys Sports Super League

Glenhest Rovers moved out of the relegation zone as two second half goals saw them leave Celtic Park with all three points after a 2-0 win over Castlebar Celtic.

The opening goal came on fifty-one minutes when Levi Barrett raced clear of the defence and beat the advancing keeper from the edge of the box with a deft chip.

Eoin Morris added a second 15 minutes later when he headed the ball into an empty net after some good work down the right wing.

In a real six pointer at the bottom of the table Straide & Foxford United made it three wins from four with a convincing 4-1 win over Claremorris.

An 11 minute first half hat-trick from Kienan Smyth was key to this win for Aiden Flatley’s side who are now five points clear of Claremorris in the fight for survival.

Joe Slevin did pull a goal back for the away side before the break as he got on the end of a cross from Lewis Lally but Straide & Foxford added a fourth before half-time as Darren Flatley slotted home a penalty.

There were no further goals in the second half and the north Mayo side now look like they will do enough to avoid the drop while Claremorris mid season form has deserted them as they remain in the relegation zone as they have done since the first day of the season.

In a cracker of a game on Sunday morning it looked like Ballyhaunis Town would also get a win at the bottom of the table as they led Kiltimagh/Knock United 3-0 after only half an hour but despite the away side been reduced to ten men minutes later it was James Costello’s side that picked up all three points with a 6-4 win at Station Rise.

Andy Cunnane opened the scoring for Ballyhaunis after only nine minutes and they dominated the opening exchanges as Gary Higgins added a second before Cunnane got another on the half hour mark. It looked like the result could only go one way after Brendan Walsh was sent off for taking down Gary Higgins when he was through on goal minutes later but Kiltimagh/Knock gave themselves a fighting chance when Jack O’Connor got their first of the day before the break.

The away side were level within ten minutes of the restart as Dan Duffy headed in a free kick taken by O’Connor and then Dylan Webb pounced on an error in the Ballyhaunis defence to level matters.

Five minutes later and Kiltimagh/Knock were in front as O’Connor got his second of the day as he looked to have hit the winner but we were in for an exciting final few minutes as Ballyhaunis equalised with five minutes to go after Gary Higgins saw his spot kick saved only to follow in and score from the rebound.

With the extra man Ballyhaunis pushed forward in search of the winner but the next goal was to go Kiltimagh/Knock’s way as Iarla Carty headed in another set piece taken by Jack O’Connor. Rob O’Flaherty added a sixth deep into injury time to leave Ballyhaunis four points from safety with four games remaining.

Westport United made it four wins in a row on Sunday morning with a 4-0 win over Manulla at United Park. Darren Browne gave them the lead on 40 minutes when he headed in a left wing cross from James O’Donnell to give them the lead at the break.

They added three further goals in the second-half and they all came in a ten minute period in the last 20 minutes. Jack Murphy made it two with a superbly taken free-kick from 20 yards on 70 minutes and he turned provider four minutes later when he set up Dylan O’Malley to score from ten yards out as he laid the ball off to him inside the area.

Adam Nugent returned to the club during the week and he was on hand to add a fourth minutes later when he finished at the second attempt after a brilliant run down the left wing by Dylan Duane.

The final Super League game of the weekend took place in Belleek on Sunday afternoon when Ballina Town needed two late goals to claim a share of the spoils with Ballyheane in an exciting 2-2 draw.

Ballyheane looked odds on to move further clear at the top of the table when they led 2-0 at the break but Ballina were excellent in the second half as they fought back to earn a point. Ben Edeh gave the away side the lead just before the half hour mark and then Jack Rochford slotted home a penalty right on half-time for Ashley Stevenson’s side.

Credit goes to Mark Beattie and his players for not giving in and they eventually got the goals they deserved as Oleg Vysochan and Benny Lavelle scored late on.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division

In the only game in the Premier Division on Saturday evening Westport B remained in the title race with a 3-1 win over bottom of the table Killala. Goals from Brandon Scahill, PJ Calvey and Jesper Frisch did the damage for Joe Kelly’s side who kept the pressure on Crossmolina and Conn Rangers at the top of the table.

Crossmolina made it five wins in a row in the Premier Division with an 9-1 defeat of Swinford in Abbeyview on Sunday morning. Niall Coggins is a man in form for Michael Canavan’s side and he hit five of the nine goals while substitute David O’Boyle also hit a hat-trick for the North Mayo and Kevin Campbell got the other goal.

Crossmolina have the league title in their own hands with just four games remaining as they have a game in hand on Conn Rangers who sit a point ahead of them.

Having played a game more, Conn Rangers moved back ahead of Crossmolina on Sunday afternoon with a 5-0 win over Fahy Rovers.

They led by two at the break as Colm Rutledge and Sean Holmes gave them control of the game and PJ Gilmartin, Ciaran Brogan and a penalty from Mikey Bourke put further gloss on the scoreline as they struck three further goals in the final minutes of the game.

Killeen Sports Ground League One

On Saturday evening Kilmore's hopes of bringing the League One title race to the last day was more or less ended by Manulla B who earned a 3-2 win in Carramore.

Lee Lyons gave Damien’s Joyce side the lead with a well taken finish on twelve minutes but Kilmore were level 10 minutes later when the division’s top scorer Justin Healy found the bottom right hand corner of the net with a well taken free-kick from 20 yards. Healy came close to giving Kilmore the lead as he struck the crossbar with a fierce shot minutes later while Manulla also came close to taking the lead for a second time on a few occasions.

They did so though early in the second half as Cian Benson scored the goal of the game as he cut in from the left wing to fire a shot into the bottom right hand corner of Kian Gallagher’s net from 25 yards. Manulla looked like they would hold on and take all three points but Healy gave Kilmore hope that they would get the win they needed as he pounced on an error in the Manulla defence to put the ball into an empty net after hesitancy between the Manulla keeper and one of his centre backs.

Kilmore pushed forward in search of a winner but this left gaps at the back and substitute Jack Cunningham struck a brilliant winner in the dying minutes to gift Ballinrobe Town the chance to clinch the title before they meet Kilmore in their final league game in two weeks time.

Westport United C chances of staying up was dealt another blow on Saturday evening as Conn Rangers B put four past them with a 4-1 win in Mount Falcon.

The very impressive PJ Gilmartin scored a hat-trick for Patrick Armstrong’s side with Kyle Neary also getting his name on the scoreboard with a well taken goal while Ted Horan got a consolation goal for Michael Horan's side.

Ballinrobe Town made the most of the result on Saturday evening as they moved to within a point of claiming the League One title with a 2-0 win over Achill Rovers on Sunday afternoon.

JP O’Gorman gave them the lead when he opened the scoring on 20 minutes but they had to wait until six minutes from full-time to get a second when Liam Burke got on the scoreboard for the second game in a row.

Next weekend they travel to Westport United C and if they avoid defeat they will add a league title to the Tonra Cup success from last month.

McDonnell Construction League Two

Partry Athletic moved back to the top of League Two overnight after a 5-0 win over Fahy Rovers B. Fianach MacGabhann got the opening goal just after the half-hour mark after good work by Martin Fox and Liam Burke. Fox provided the assist for their second goal before half-time as Ciaran Hennelly headed home is corner at the back post.

Fox also set up the next two goals for Neil Donnelly’s side as Liam Burke got their third and MacGabhann got his second of the day minutes later. James Canning completed the scoring with a long range effort as Partry got back to winning ways after two defeats against Ballyheane B.

Ballyheane B kept themselves in the promotion race with a 4-1 win over Ballyvary Blue Bombers. Rory Morris scored twice for Sean Kelly’s side while Robbie Elhert scored from the penalty spot and Ballyheane A’s manager Ashley Stevenson also got on the scoresheet.

Castlebar Celtic B returned to the top of the table on Sunday morning with a 3-0 win over Killala B in The Courthouse. Liam Whyte gave them a half-time lead with a goal just before half-time and Jack Mahon and Ethan Minogue added further goals in the second half to restore their one point lead at the summit of League Two.

Claremorris B were pushed all the way by Conn Rangers C as they came out on top by the odd goal in a seven goal thriller in Concannon Park. Claremorris B led 3-2 at the break as Danny Barry hit a brace and the other goal coming from A team manager Paul Burke while Jason Neary and Luke Clayton got the Rangers goals.

Just before the hour mark Simon Collins set up Gavin Brady to give Claremorris a two goal cushion but they had a nervous last few minutes as Rangers pulled another goal back with six minutes remaining but the home side held on to take all three points to keep them right up there in the race for promotion and the league title.

- Report courtesy of the Mayo Football League

*Full match reports from Ballina Town v Ballyheane, Glenhest Rovers v Castlebar Celtic and Ballyhaunis Town v Kiltimagh/Knock United in tomorrow's print edition.