Mayo GAA legend to be feted with diaspora award
It's in recognition of her promotion of football in Mayo and Australia
Mayo GAA legend Cora Staunton has been named one of the recipients of the Mayo Emigrant Liaison Committee's annual Cherishing the Irish Diaspora Awards.
The holder of 11 All-Stars and four All-Ireland senior titles, she also played with distinction in the Australia Football Women's League with Great Western Sydney Giants where she established herself as one of the league's all-time greatest goal kickers.
Long considered one of the greatest forwards in Gaelic football ever, the Carnacon native has more recently been earning respect as a regular pundit on the sport on our television screens with RTÉ.
The full list of award winners for 2023 is as follows:
* Luton Irish Forum.
* Professor Dame Elizabeth Anionwu, London.
* The Connolly sisters, Lehinch, Hollymount, and Australia.
* Tommie Joe Duffy, (posthumous), Killawalla and Manchester.
* The Gavin family, Castlebar and Chicago.
* The Asian GAA Games Committee.
Bill Durkan, Bohola and Dublin, is to receive the committee's Humanitarian Award.
The awards will be presented on a date to be confirmed.