Image from the French city of Bordeaux where the botulism outbreak occurred.

Mayo man being treated in hospital for botulism 'expected to make full recovery'

A Mayo man being treated for botulism in a hospital intensive care unit in France is expected to make a full recovery.

According to a report today in the Irish Independent, a family friend confirmed that he is responded well to treatment.

“He will be fine. He is still in ICU but stable and expected to recover. But the mental scars are a different story. He will have to carry this unbearable loss,” said the friend.

The news comes as questions are being raised about the medical care of his wife who died of botulism after contracting the illness on the Rugby World Cup in Bordeaux last weekend.

The woman, a native of Greece, died on Tuesday after falling ill from the rare foodborne illness along with her husband.

According to the Irish Independent, a source close to the husband’s family said the woman, aged in her early 30s, attended hospitals in Bordeaux and Paris, but did not receive a potentially life-saving antitoxin treatment.

The newspaper further reported: "It is understood the woman first fell ill in Bordeaux and attended hospital there.

"She was deemed well enough to be discharged, and the couple returned to their home in Paris.

"However, she was feeling so unwell that her husband rushed her to a hospital in Paris but her condition deteriorated rapidly.

“She was treated in two hospitals and she never got the antitoxin. It’s such a tragedy,” said the source."

Just hours after the woman’s death, her husband fell ill, deteriorated rapidly and was admitted to ICU, where he received the life-saving antitoxin to botulism.

Concerns over the woman’s treatment, the Irish Independent outlined, come after an American woman spoke about the treatment of her fiancé, who also contracted botulism after eating in the same restaurant as the Irish couple.

Kristy Benner and her partner Matt Jackson from California, stopped by the Tchin Tchin Wine Bar on September 4, and sampled wine with small plates of sardines and charcuterie. Mr. Jackson fell ill the following day.

She told the Associated Press it took days to confirm a link to the sardines that Mr. Jackson consumed in Bordeaux, and to get them both access to anti-toxins for a disease that French hospitals rarely encounter.

At least 12 people who ate the sardines or preserves between September 4 and September 10 have been hospitalised, according to health officials.

Elected representatives in Mayo have spoken of their shock and sorrow of hearing of the tragic events.

Councillor Ger Deere said: “My heart goes out to the whole family. It’s a dreadful tragedy and everyone in Castlebar is shocked. Our thoughts and prayers are with the young man and his family.”

Councillor Michael Kilcoyne stated: "It’s absolutely awful. They are a lovely family and all we can do is extend our support and sympathy.”