The late Patrick Rowland.

Rowland family receive apology from Mayo University Hospital three years after father’s death

THE family of the late Patrick Rowland has received a formal letter of apology from Mayo University Hospital, three years after the Castlebar man died following a series of events which saw him leave the hospital in the middle of the night.

Patrick’s son, Cormac Rowland, and solicitor Roger Murray spoke to Tommy Marren on Midwest Radio this morning about the family’s long pursuit of answers, which concluded through mediation on January 19 - three years to the date after Patrick’s death.

Cormac described his father as a dignified and humble man who 'carried his talents lightly' and always had time for others.

Quoting a tribute previously shared by Frederick Robert Higgins, Cormac said his father was known for his warmth and work ethic.

“He had a good word for everybody, was very personable. Before I started working he said to me, always leave a job better than you got it, say hello to everyone,” he said.

Cormac explained that his father, a type 2 diabetic, was admitted to Mayo University Hospital at approximately 12.40 a.m. after being assessed in the emergency department. Respiratory sepsis was queried and he was recorded with an early warning score of eight.

He said Patrick spent 42 hours on a trolley, much of that time on a corridor in the emergency department.

Cormac said his father was initially placed in a booth under observation, but later moved to a long corridor area near a busy door used by paramedics.

“We had reservations as it was at the paramedics door… this door opening and closing constantly. Up against a cupboard and had to be moved for them to access,” he said.

Cormac said that while his father initially seemed stable and able to talk, his condition and behaviour deteriorated over time.

“The following day he became erratic and the following day his communication was bizarre,” he said.

He described the emergency department as chaotic and recalled finding his father wandering without oxygen.

Cormac said he was unaware at the time that Patrick had previously tried to leave the hospital, and he believes key information was not passed from the emergency department to the ward when Patrick was later transferred upstairs.

“Decisions I made were impacted by not having that information. That information didn’t find its way from the emergency department to the ward upstairs,” he said.

Cormac also recounted receiving a distressing phone call from his father after leaving the hospital.

Cormac said he rushed back but could find no sign of him.

He said his father had left wearing a flannel pyjama bottoms and slippers, and gardaí were alerted. However, he said they did not have access to a patrol car at the time and began searching on foot.

Patrick’s body was found days later in Ballynew, around four miles outside Castlebar.

Solicitor Roger Murray said he was shocked when the Rowland family first came to him for help.

“I was genuinely taken aback that an otherwise healthy man mentally had been safe in a hospital could end up in circumstances where he left a hospital and found his way into a river,” he said.

He stressed that at no stage was there any intention for Patrick to enter the water.

Mr. Murray said the case was concluded through mediation, avoiding court proceedings, and resulted in a formal apology being issued by hospital management.

He said the letter acknowledged “omissions in the care provided to Patrick” and expressed deep regret and sincere apologies to his family.

Cormac said the apology was a major moment for the family, but said the experience had left a lasting impact and highlighted serious issues in hospital handover procedures.

“Handovers are important. That information had it been passed along the line this wouldn’t have happened,” he said.

He also said that his father went 11 hours without an early warning score check before being recorded as an eight.

Mr. Murray said an issue in the case was that the door through which Patrick exited did not have an alarm at the time, but one has since been installed.

He said CCTV footage captured Patrick leaving the hospital and described it as 'distressing' and 'striking'.

“An elderly man in the dead of night, with a bracelet, in his pyjamas… it was very striking and will never leave me,” he said.

Cormac said the family decided to speak publicly to prevent others suffering a similar loss.

“As a member of the public, I don’t want anyone to ever have to go through what we did ever again,” he said.

He added that his father would have wanted the matter handled with dignity.

“My father was a forgiving man. He wouldn’t hold grudges, they take energy,” he said.