Bridge over the River Moy in Ballina. PHOTO: ALISON CRUMMY/FAILTE IREAND

Concern aired over proposed salmon conservation measures in Mayo

CONCERNS have been aired about the impact proposed salmon conservation measures would have on Ballina and the wider north Mayo area.

Members of Ballina Salmon Anglers' Association who formed Moy Action Group late last year have addressed the February monthly meeting of Ballina Municipal District to highlight how detrimental the proposals could be locally.

Leading the presentation, Martin Parker explained that under their original proposals, Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) had called for a reduction in the salmon angling bag limit from 10 fish to three per angler per season, restricted to the period June 1 to August 31. From January 1 to May 31 and again from September 1 until the end of the season, angling would operate on a catch and release basis.

Following public consultation, the proposals were revised, with the reduction in the salmon angling bag limit now suggested from 10 fish to seven per angler per season, restricted to the period June 1 to August 31. For the rest of the season angling would operate on a catch and release basis.

Mr. Parker said the concerns of their relate to the methodology used by IFI when it comes to counting salmon in the River Moy. They only use anglers' logbook data, even though it's frequently the case that fewer than half of anglers return their logbooks.

“They're often inaccurate and too few are returned to make a determination on fish count,” Mr. Parker said. There is a potential fine of €150 for not returning a logbook, he added, but IFI confirmed to him that no-one had ever been fined for not returning it.

Mr. Parker said the belief of Moy Action Group members is that the only way to get accurate data is through the use of fish counters.

“In a polite and professional way, we're trying to hold IFI to account,” he stated.

He warned that if IFI do not go down the route of using counters, the angling season would be 'off' up to June and again from September onwards. The Moy, he further warned, could be 'shut' from next year.

“We support you and hopefully we can find a good resolution for everyone,” Councillor Joe Faughnan said, while Councillor John O'Hara noted that far more fish are lost because of trawlers and seals than on the line, adding: “This is the worst thing that has happened in Ballina. They wouldn't do it below in Kerry. We need to look after ourselves here. It's the only thing we have in Ballina, and we had it long before talk of tourism here.”

Councillor Annie May Reape, who backed Moy Action Group in their request to make a presentation before the a full Mayo County Council meeting, noted with regret that it is probably not possible to go into a restaurant now and find a fish on the menu caught in Ireland.

Without accurate data you do not have a clear picture, Councillor Marie Therese Duffy noted, while Councillor Michael Loftus said Lough Conn needs to be looked at too. “If the fish are not coming in, we need to see what the reason is,” he stated.

Councillor Loftus added that the minister (Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Martin Heydon) has to get involved and listen to the fishermen.

“It's a sad day when you think you can't get river salmon in a restaurant. It's wrong. It is a disgrace,” he concluded.

The Moy Salmon Group members agreed that seals are an issue and also highlighted the problem with cormorants, especially on Lough Conn. They have asked for a cormorant breeding census to be carried out because they can't get a cull without knowing the number of them actually there.

Mr. Parker furthter added that they have tried to get a meeting with the minister on numerous occasions but to no avail.

“You have the support of everyone here. The six elected councillors are unanimous on that,” the cathaoirleach of Ballina MD, Councillor Jarlath Munnelly, assured the Moy Action Group members.

He added: “Salmon is a matter of pride in Ballina. It's a huge part of our identity. It cuts to the core of what we're about.”

Councillor Munnelly, who said he never came across anyone involved in country sports that wasn't interested in conservation, suggested that any decisions should be paused until the methodology is sorted. He promised that Ballina MD would write to the minister and IFI about having a meeting with them.

The presentation concluded with one of the Moy Action Group members noting how IFI are clamping down on anglers but doing nothing about commercial fishermen.

A second public consultation on the draft Wild Salmon and Sea Trout Tagging Scheme Regulations 2026 is currently ongoing. Submissions can be made up to 5.30 p.m. on Thursday, March 5.