Significant progress revealed on Mayo's new dual carriageway project
Significant progress continues to be made on the new N5 Westport to Turlough Road project have been completed.
That's according to the latest report on the construction of the development.
The €220 million development involves the design and construction of approximately 20km of Type 2 dual carriageway and approximately 7.5km of single carriageway (Type 1, 2 & 3).
The project includes the upgrade of a 2.5km section of the N59 Westport to Mulranny national secondary road at Barleyhill.
The project also includes the design and construction of two compact grade separated junctions, six roundabouts, 2 rail bridges over the Dublin to Westport rail line and 24 bridge structures.
Wills BAM Joint Venture, the contractors, have indicated that they are anticipating the completion of the contract to be in quarter one or two of 2023.
Paving works have begun on a number of sections.
The current progress on the project is as follows:
Site Clearance & Topsoil Strip: Substantially Complete
Earthworks: 88% Complete
Capping: 79% Complete
Topsoil Restoration: 57% Complete
Drainage: 27% Complete
Service Ducts: 18% Complete
Subbase: 21% Complete
Roadbase: 19% Complete
Accommodation Works: 13% complete.
• 2 Railway Overbridge Structures: waterproofing and sand carpet to deck.
• N84 Ballinrobe Overbridge: Substantially complete. Finishes to the bridge ongoing.
• N60 Breaffy Overbridge: Installation of parapet railings and barriers. Finishes to the bridge ongoing.
• Islandeady Overbridge: Substantially complete. Finishes to the bridge ongoing
• Belcarra Overbridge: Substantially complete. Finishes to the bridge ongoing. Opened to traffic on temporary surface.
• Keelogues Overbridge: Installation of parapet railings and barriers. Parapet edge beam complete.
• Horsepark Overbridge: Installation of parapet railings and barriers.
• Windsor Overbridge: Substantially complete and reopened to the public.
Traffic management arrangements are in place in various locations in the Castlebar area.
These will change as works to the structures and roundabouts are finished and tie-ins to the existing road network is being constructed.
Works are continuing to the finishes on the N84 Ballinrobe Bridge and associated side roads, so traffic management across the new bridge continues to be operated.
Access from the old N5 to the Islandeady Road has been closed while works are completed on the south approach to the Islandeady Road Bridge.
Traffic from and to Islandeady is being routed along the new Islandeady Cemetery Road.
A road closure is anticipated for the Keelogues Road (short term) in 2022.