Mayo captain Shane Boland with his Wicklow counterpart and the match referee prior to today's game in Aughrim. Photo: Mayo GAA

Mayo hurlers get Christy Ring campaign back on track

Mayo re-ignited their Christy Ring Cup campaign with a fine win away to Wicklow this afternoon.

Having suffered a big defeat at home to Kildare last Sunday, Mayo had little time to wallow with just a six-day turnaround until round two of the competition.

And Mayo showed no ill-effects from that defeat in Ballina as they took the game to Wicklow from the off at the County Grounds in Aughrim.

The visitors scored 13 points in either half to run out 0-26 to 2-10 winners, Wicklow's two goals coming after the break but not knocking Mayo out of their rhythm.

Going into the game, Mayo manager Derek Walsh made just one change to his team, drafting Under 20 star Conal Hession in at wing-forward to replace Joe McManus. Walsh also made numerous positional changes, with the impressive Joe Mooney switching from centre-back to centre-forward, the experienced Stephen Coyne swapping places with Danny Hill in the full-back line, and David Kenny moving from the wing to centre-back.

Today's contest was the third meeting of Mayo and Wicklow this year, with the Garden County drawing with Mayo in the Allianz National Hurling League opening game in Ballina and then winning the Division 2B relegation playoff in Tullamore, so there was an element of revenge to Mayo's victory this afternoon.


Meanwhile, Mayo were well beaten by an impressive Roscommon outfit in the All-Ireland Under 20 B hurling championship semi-final at Waldron Park, Athleague, yesterday evening.

Mayo got off to the best possible start as Tooreen duo Padraic Mooney and Conal Hession combined for the latter to fire into the net, but the home side soon settled and an Adam Donnelly goal helped them into a healthy lead at the break, 1-12 to 1-6.

Roscommon’s third quarter killed off Mayo's chances as they outscored their opponents 0-10 to 0-1, and there was little let-up from Roscommon in the final quarter as substitute Cormac Mulry plundered two goals as it finished in a 3-26 to 1-8 victory for the Rossies.

Finally, Mayo played round two of the Under 17 National Celtic Challenge this afternoon against Donegal in Manorhamilton. Convincing 1-15 to 2-6 winners over Sligo in the opening round last weekend, they had a ding-dong battle with their opponents today before Cian McKenna settled it in favour of the Tir Chonaill lads with an injury-time goal. It finished Donegal 4-6, Mayo 3-6.