Dublin's Kate McDaid shields the ball under pressure from Mayo's Sarah Mulvihill during the TG4 LGFA All-Ireland SFC match at MW Hire O’Moore Park in Portlaoise this evening. Photo: Michael P. Ryan / Sportsfile

Defeat to Dublin leaves Mayo with a quarterfinal against Cork

Having already qualified for the All-Ireland quarterfinal prior to this evening's third round Group A encounter in the TG4 LGFA All-Ireland senior championship, the only thing to be decided was which one of Mayo and Dublin would top the group.

As it turned out, Dublin came out on top by 2-14 to 1-7 in O’Moore Park, Portlaoise, which leaves Mayo facing Cork in the quarterfinal in two weeks' time. Dublin, meanwhile, will face the Group D runners-up, Donegal, in the last eight.

Mayo didn't take full advantage of the breeze at their backs in the first half and trailed the Leinster champions by three at the interval, the scoreboard reading Dublin 0-8, Mayo 0-5.

Tara Needham, Sinéad Walsh and Sinéad Cafferky were among the scorers for Mayo, while Carla Rowe and Nicole Owens led the charge for Dublin.

Jennifer Dunne came to the fore for the Dubs after the turnaround, opening the scoring in the second half with a terrific score from distance.

Shauna Howley responded for Mayo but the contest swung firmly in Dublin's favour eight minutes into the new half when Rowe and Dunne set up Kate Sullivan for a goal, the game's first, which extended the gap to seven points.

A second goal from substitute Lyndsey Davey killed the game as a contest before Hannah Tyrell, who scored three points in that second half, picked up a yellow card, giving Mayo a glimmer of hope.

Michael Moyles' charges took the game to Dublin in the closing stages with their numerical advantage and pulled a goal back through Lisa Cafferky, but the damage had been done by that stage.

Mayo: A. Tarpey; D. Caldwell, R. Flynn, S. El Massry; C. Needham, F. McHale, K. Sullivan; S. Cafferky, A. Geraghty; T. O’Connor, S. Walsh (0-1), S. Mulvihill; L. Cafferky (1-0), S. Howley (0-3), T. Needham (0-1).

Subs used: C. Whyte (0-1), L. Brennan, L. Wallace, E. Murray, J. Mortimer, H. Reape.

Dublin: C. Trant; N. Collins, L. Caffrey, J. Tobin; A. Kane, M. Byrne, O. Nolan (0-1); J. Dunne (0-2), L. Magee; C. O’Connor, C. Rowe (0-5), K. Sullivan (1-1); S. Aherne, H. Tyrrell (0-3), N. Owens (0-2).

Subs used: N. Hetherton, L. Davey (1-0), H. Leahy, K. McDaid, S. Woods.

*See Tuesday's print edition for more on the game