COOKIES ON Connaught Telegraph

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Connaught Telegraph website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.


Keegan throws Kiltimagh a lifeline

Story by John Melvin

Sunday, 22nd October, 2017 7:05pm

Keegan throws Kiltimagh a lifeline

Kiltimagh and Moy Davitts are heading back to MacHale Park.

THOMAS Keegan came to the rescue of Kiltimagh with an injury-time point which sent the controversial Mayo intermediate football final at blustery MacHale Park, Castlebar, to a replay.

Liam Byrne looked to have nailed it for Moy Davitts when his controversial point was waved wide by the umpires but was awarded by referee Garryowen McMahon, who overuled his umpires.

It nudged Moy Davitts ahead by a point, two minutes from time, but Kiltimagh regrouped the find the equaliser and had a chance to win it at the death only for David Lydon to blaze wide in front of goals.

Moy Davitts deserved their reprieve having fought back from a deficit of seven points at one stage - 2-7 to 0-6 - but Kiltimagh had a lot of chances to extend that lead even further, and those misses cost them dearly in the end.

A well-taken goal by Liam Lydon separated the sides at half-time -1-6 to 0-6 - but Kiltimagh had eight wides, a few of them of the criminal nature, playing with that strong wind in the first half.

Brian Reape was the go-to man for Moy Davitts and he produced 0-4, including three frees.

When Kiltimagh struck for a second goal, two minutes into the second half, thanks to David Lydon, they looked well on their way to atoning for last year’s defeat in the final against Westport.

But it was man of the match Reape who was to ignite the Moy Davitts cause with a goal six minutes from time which tied the game - 2-10 to 1-13.

That controversial point looked to have sealed it for Moy Davitts but another substitute, Tomas Keegan, saved the day for Kiltimagh with an injury-time point to send this final to a replay.

Final score: Kiltimagh 2-11, Moy Davitts 1-14.


Kiltimagh: D. Gallagher, M. Cummins (0-1), K. Mulderrig, J. Forkan, C. Finn (0-1), S. Forkan (0-1), C. Heneghan, P. Kelly, S. Walsh (0-2), B. Gallagher, C. Charlton, S. McDonnell (0-3), D. Lydon (1-0), L. Lydon (1-1), R. Malee (0-1, 1f).

Subs used: T. Keegan (0-1) for L. Lydon, TJ Byrne for S. Walsh, E. Lavin for P. Kelly.

Moy Davitts: C. McGlynn, C. Quinn, C. Healy, S. Mulroy, O. McHugh (0-1), M. Regan, N. Regan, J. Mulderrig, P. Ruane, P. Langan, S. Kelly, A. Rourke, A. Jordan (0-2, 1f), B. Reape (1-7, 4f), B. Heneghan (0-2).

Subs used: L. Byrne (0-2) for S. Kelly, D. Ruane for Quinn.

Referee: G.O. McMahon.

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus