COOKIES ON Connaught Telegraph

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Connaught Telegraph website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.

ACCEPT

Operation Thor 'has reduced burglaries in the west by a quarter' - gardaí

Thursday, 11th January, 2018 1:13pm

Operation Thor 'has reduced burglaries in the west by a quarter' - gardaí

A SHARP rise in burglaries in 2017 was reversed by the end of the year following the launch of a targeted operation, according to gardaí.

Garda figures show that during the first two months of the winter phase of Operation Thor, the level of reported burglaries was down by almost a quarter across the country.

The ongoing problem with burglaries and the activities of travelling gangs has been highlighted in recent weeks with violent attacks on vulnerable and elderly people in their homes, particularly in rural Ireland.

An Garda Síochána said it accepted that the problem had worsened throughout 2017 but stated the launch of the winter phase of Operation Thor in November of last year reversed an increasing trend.

The spokesman said reported burglaries have dropped by 23% nationally with a 25% reducation in the west of Ireland.

The garda spokesman said burglaries are most likely to occur in the evenings between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m..

They have urged people to be particularly vigilant during these times and to mark their property in such a way that, if stolen, they can be identified as the owner.

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus

SHARE