Cillian O'Connor celebrates his goal against Dublin.Photo: Sportsfile

Dublin down mayo in croker

THREE second-half goals proved crucial as Dublin defeated Mayo by 3-15 to 1-14 in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final replay in Croke Park earlier.

The first, when Bernard Brogan stuck out a leg to divert Brian Fenton's low shot into Robert Hennelly's net, brought Dublin level with Mayo at 1-12 each after Cillian O'Connor had given the Connaught champions a great start to the second half, the Ballintubber ace showing great athleticism to divert the ball into the Dublin goal after Andy Moran's telling break.

The second Dublin goal had a huge air of controversy about it. Bernard Brogan made an incisive run along the left end line and got the ball into the danger area with what looked like a throw where the in-rushing Philly McMahon bundled the ball to the net despite not seeming to get a striking motion on it. After consulting with his umpires, referee Eddie Kinsella allowed the goal to stand.

Those two goals were supplemented by three points as Mayo struggled with the blitz, and a third goal from key Dublin substitute Kevin McManamon late on put the icing on the cake.

Being able to spring McManamon, Michael Darragh Macauley and Alan Brogan from the bench proved telling in that second half, during which Seamus O'Shea was shown a black card after throwing Johnny Cooper to the ground, the Dublin corner-back escaping any sanction despite barging into the Breaffy man after he had played the ball away.

With his goal and six points (five frees), Cillian O'Connor was Mayo's top scorer. His goal came after Andy Moran, who had replaced the black-carded O'Shea, made an incisive break through the Dublin rearguard.

But Mayo couldn't push on after going four points up as Dublin forced them back and gradually took control.

The sides were locked at 0-10 apiece by the break following a first half that was markedly different to the drawn game, being open, free-flowing and fully enjoyable. However, for Mayo supporters, a second half that started brightly soon faded and Dublin's power eventually told. They will face reigning All-Ireland champions Kerry in the final on September 20


Mayo: R. Hennelly, G. Cafferkey, D. Vaughan, K. Higgins, L. Keegan (0-1), P. Barrett, C. Boyle, S. O'Shea, T. Parsons, D. O'Connor (0-2), A. O'Shea (0-1), K. McLoughlin (0-1), B. Moran (0-1), C. Connor (1-6, 5f), J. Doherty.

Subs used: P. Durcan (0-1) for Vaughan, A. Moran (0-1f) for S. O'Shea (BC), A. Freeman for B. Moran, D. Drake for Boyle, S. Coen for Parsons, M. Ronaldson for McLoughlin.

Dublin: S. Cluxton, J. Cooper, R. O'Carroll, P. McMahon (1-2), J. McCarthy (0-1), C. O'Sullivan, J. McCaffrey, B. Fenton (0-1), D. Bastick, P. Flynn, P. Andrews (0-5), C. Kilkenny (0-2), D. Rock (0-2f), D. Connolly, B. Brogan (1-1).

Subs used: M.D. Macauley for Bastick, M. Fitzsimons for Cooper, A. Brogan for Flynn, K. McManamon (1-1) for Rock, E. Lowndes for Connolly.